Zooming with personality

It’s Friday afternoon and the bell just rang. The sun is out and all you want to do is get out of the crowded science hall to begin your weekend. You finally reach your car in the senior parking lot, laugh at the kids who have to ride the bus and hop in your vehicle to turn on your favorite tunes. You slip your sunglasses on and roll down the windows, just when you start to feel cool, you take a look at the person next to you. He is enjoying himself just as much as you are, but he is driving the cool car. The tires are new, the exterior is spotless and suddenly you are ashamed of being seen in your little hunk-of-junk.

There’s nothing worse than being put to shame by the hot rod in the parking space next to yours, but have you really ever heard the tales of the kids who drive the fanciest cars in the senior parking lot?

Many students who paid the $200 for a parking spot have their parents to thank for their cars. Senior Matt McCartney received his 2005 Mazda rx8 as a gift from his father. McCartney’s car, though eye-appealing, requires some extra care than the rest of the mini vans in the lot.

“Every two gas fill-ups, my car requires an addition of oil for its 1.3 liter rotary engine, which can get kind of annoying,” he said.

Senior Lillian Singer, owner of a 2003 BMW 330i, inherited her swanky car from her mom. “[She] bought it back in 2003,” she said. BMW’s are known for pioneering extra features in their models, so Singer has a particular favorite aspect to her car that many companies hadn’t utilized until recently. “It’s got great bun warmers! But I also love singing in my car, even though I’d deny it if I were caught. The stereo system is A+ for singing along to the radio.”

Stereos are a critical feature to seniors Andrew Pack and Edcel Argueta—both installed sub-woofer systems in their cars, which allows for better base tone amplification and an overall better sound quality.

Pack also put extra work into his Toyota Solara (which he lovingly nicknamed “Jamel”) by installing aftermarket tire rims and a better air intake filter to maximize fuel efficiency.

Two lucky seniors own the most popular American sports car: the Ford Mustang. Jordan Cowles and Roger McGinnis both drive the popular vehicle and like riding down “long empty stretches on the road“ because of the vehicles ease with speed.

McGinnis has a customized licence plate, and even purchased his bright blue 2004 GT model as a stick shift. Although automatic transmissions are more common nowadays, he “wouldn’t have it any other way.”

All of the car owners agreed on the same maintenance to keep their cars happy and healthy: wash it frequently, vacuum it every once in a while and always get your oil changed in a timely manner.