Carli’s Corner: A clean slate

Carlis Corner: A clean slate

Dear Carli,

Starting a new school year, I have a whole set of new classes with new people to meet and get accustomed to. I’m a people person but am a little worried about starting the year off on a bad foot with people I didn’t necessarily like or get along with last year. It’s not really drama, there’s just awkwardness from previous events that have led to me not talking to people I used to be close friends with. Last year I was able to avoid people I have bad blood with by simply walking with different people in the hallways and sitting with other friends during classes, but this year I have assigned seats in class where I’m forced to sit near these people. How do I clear the air with them and start new with people I don’t have the best past with?

–Wants a clean slate

Dear Wants a clean slate,

Try not to let previous events alter your current view on people you haven’t talked to or even seen since last school year. Just because you weren’t exactly best friends with them in previous years doesn’t mean you can’t be friendly with them now. Try starting over with them by simply flashing a smile every now and then when you and your classmates make eye contact, or maybe strike up some small talk during down time in class. If they honestly don’t want to be friendly with you or try and get over past problems, don’t worry. Some people aren’t as capable as others when it comes to moving on. You don’t have to try to constantly win their approval, but don’t give them the cold shoulder either. Treat them as just another classmate, and remember: school is a lot less stressful when you eliminate useless drama such as previous altercations with fellow classmates. -Carli

Have a problem? E-mail Carli at:

[email protected].