Saving the world, one shoebox at a time

Who is most admirable?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Christmas is a time of giving. But all too often, children today lose sight of what is important during this time. Rather than focusing on helping others, they worry about getting the latest Coach purse or the newest Now CD. However, senior Ellie Holcombe doesn’t have problems avoiding this troublesome trend, and is an active participant in the program “Operation Christmas Child.”

“I have been a part of this program since I was five,” said Holcombe. “I work with OCC because it allows me to help kids all around the world.”

And that is exactly what this program does. Operation Christmas Child, a church-based organization, delivers Christmas gifts to children in impoverished countries around the world. Holcombe participates through her church, which serves as the regional collection center for Northern Virginia.

“This is a huge program and my church is only a little part of the organization,” Holcombe said. “But every little bit definitely makes a difference and that is why participating in this program is so rewarding.”

All across the country, families donate shoeboxes full of toys for boys and girls who would have no Christmas without them. The seemingly small gesture for most who donate is a huge present for these kids to wake up to on Christmas morning.

“Once a year we collect all of the shoeboxes people have prepared and prepare them for shipping” Holcombe said. “These gifts go to many countries around the world so our part is pretty important.”
After the shoeboxes are stuffed with fun holiday treats, Holcombe along with other volunteers assist in packing the gifts into cartons and then loading them into tractor-trailer trucks for further shipping. The process is time consuming but Holcombe is confident that the cause is worth her time.

“Christmas should be a happy time for everyone,” Holcombe said. “And by helping these children, I not only make them happy, but myself happy, as well.”

Although it may seem small compared to your new purse or CD, even a shoebox-full can change the mood of a young child on Christmas Day.