Students enjoy different lunches

Every student has been there: sitting in class, counting down the seconds until the bell rings for lunch, awaiting the freedom to eat and have fun
with friends. Depending on which class students have, however, can change the time in which they get to experience this freedom. Spanning from 10:19 to 12:25, the four lunches that AHS students attend have different pros and cons for many people.

“A” lunch, which begins before W6 or R5, is an obvious favorite among many students because of the prospect of an early lunch.

“I like ‘A’ lunch because you get to eat first,” sophomore Tessa Iglesias said.

The only downside to this early lunch is that by 2 p.m., it is fairly common to become hungry again, and this is especially a problem for people who attend sports practices or club meeting after school.

“I like having A lunch because I never eat breakfast, so it works. I get hungry at the end of the day though; that’s the negative part,” sophomore
and varsity volleyball player Olivia Franjie said.

Conversely, D lunch is also favored among some for the opposite reason. Students may get hungrier during the day, but by the time lunch rolls around they know that their day is almost over.

“[If I were a student] I would enjoy ‘D’ lunch most because you only have one class left after lunch,” English teacher Stefanie Guffey said.

A major thing that sets B and C lunch apart from the others is the time when they occur. Because they are partway through the lunch block, W6 or R5 is split for students who have these lunches. For some, this is good because they get a break during class, but for others, it limits how much they are able to learn and focus.

“I like C lunch because my class is split and it gives me a break from math,” freshman Alex Gonzalez said.

“It gets really confusing with C lunch because you come from class, eat, then go back to class,” junior Laura Zambrana said.

For teachers, the problem of keeping the attention of theur students is also affected by lunch times.