Las Tapas

From the first moment we walked into La Tasca, we were transfixed by the warm and rustic décor. The walls were painted vibrant orange and decorated with paintings, frames, candle holders and fresh flowers. More impressive than the atmosphere of the place, however, was the food.

As it was our first attempt at eating tapas, our waitress kindly explained the idea. Essentially, tapas are smaller, appetizer-sized portions of a meal that are meant to be shared. Therefore, ordering two or three per person is not only acceptable, but recommended.
The tapas menu was split into three different categories: vegetable, meat and seafood. We ordered five dishes to split consisting of all three different kinds. The Setas al Ajillo was a mushroom dish sautéed in garlic and olive oil. While it was fairly tasty, we realize many would be reluctant to try such an adventurous choice.

If you prefer more traditional cuisine, we recommend the Patatas Bravas as well as the Empanadas de Carne. The Patatas are diced potatoes fried up in a golden batter and covered with a rich, creamy sauce. They had a slight kick added to them from the tomato sauce that sat in the bottom of the dish. The Empanadas de Carne dish was very traditional, with meat and cheese stuffed into a thick pastry shell.

The Brocheta de Gambas y Vierias dish absolutely blew us away with its incredible spice. Though the name won’t roll off the tongue, the savory flavor will. The plate arrived with steaming shrimp and scallops wrapped in bacon and drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice. We had devoured the entire plate before our waitress even had a chance to refill our water glasses.
Each dish cost between $6 and $8, which is the perfect amount if you are looking to split a meal with a friend or go on a date. A variety of dessert plates and appetizers are also available to round out your meal. Overall, the service at La Tasca was fabulous and the food was delicious.