New IB Coordinator chosen

Principal John Ponton announced this Tuesday that English and peer tutoring teacher Shirley Campbell will be taking over as the AHS International Baccalaureate Coordinator in replacement of departing coordeinator, Erin Albright.

After Albright’s resignation, many AHS IB students feared the appointment of a complete stranger to this position. Campbell’s promotion therefore has many students relieved about their futures in the IB program.

“I think she would be a great IB coordinator, because she’s very down-to-earth, and she is comfortable with all her students,” said senior Kelly May. “I believe she would be able to play a very personal role in all her students’ lives, and get everything done.”

“She is always there, she’s very supportive, and I believe she will continue the path of excellence that Ms. Albright set us out on,” said senior IB-Diploma candidate Mahrokh Akhavan. “She would be a great guide for the juniors this year too.”

Campbell faces several challenges ahead of her. “I believe Erin [Albright] did a wonderful job with the program, and I have huge shoes to fill,” Campbell said. “But everyone, especially the IB teachers, have been very supportive, and I have no doubt that this transition will be interesting.”

The new appointment is expected to bring many changes to the IB program. “I want to build upon the strong IB foundation AHS already has,” said Campbell. Part of her long-term plan for the AHS IB program is to have a marketing campaign to make IB a more prominent part of the community. “We have lots of talent in the student body here, and I really want to showcase that to IB schools and students around the world,” said Campbell.

Despite the challenges ahead, Campbell remains positive about the new job and all the responsibilities. “I love my kids, I love the program, and even though I’m nervous, I’m excited for my new job at the same time,” she said.