Signs of Spring seen around AHS

As the last few traces of the infamous 2010 snow melt away, it is becoming evident that winter is wrapping up and allowing for the advent of the spring season. Warm weather, the sound of children playing outside, and the cherished jingle of ice cream trucks all mark the beautiful time of year known as Spring, which, in the northern hemisphere, starts this Saturday, March 20.

While the weather warms up, AHS students are putting their winter coats away and shopping for skirts, flip-flops, rain boots, sunglasses, and short-sleeved T-shirts.

“I’m really looking forward to coming to school wearing shorts,” said freshman Sanar Shamdeen. It’s common to see people wearing light garments this time of the year, and is one of the many things both guys and girls look forward to during the Spring.

Even AHS’s population of young Muslim women are springing into the new season by wearing lighter scarves. “We wear different style hijabs for the various temperatures,” said senior Sabrina Hassan.

Although the upcoming Spring season is being anticipated by most, Winter will definitely be missed by some AHS students.

One reason students will miss the wintertime is the tentative school schedule. “During Winter, I had the hope of missing school because of the snow days, but during the spring time, that can’t happen,” said junior Habib Nazarei.

In addition to the comfort of staying home on a school day, some students will miss playing specific team sports at AHS. “I’m going to miss my basketball season,” said Shamdeen.

Further, because it is common to link spring with the beginning of Daylight Saving Time, some students have a negative output of the season.

Nevertheless, given the opportunity of more hours in the afternoon, many students at Annandale are looking forward to playing outdoor activities. “I’m going to do a lot of sports like playing volleyball and riding my bike, and also going to go to parties,” said sophomore Mariatu Atimbu.

Therefore, as the temperature rises and the days get longer, it’s important to take advantage of the cool breezes and the picturesque flower-filled scenery as the Winter waves its last goodbyes.