IB Candidates pitch “Walk for Darfur”

During flex on Monday April 5, all teachers were asked to show their class a motivating video created by the IB Diploma Candidates that encourages students to take part in the fourth annual Walk for Darfur, to be held at Lake Accotink park on Saturday, April 10.

“The video was very informative and the charity they’re donating to seems more of a direct charity in the sense that the money is going directly to the cause” said junior Liam McGhee.

Though the previous Walk for Darfur was a success, this year the hosts expect to attract even more participants.

“I hope that it will attract as much support. This year we’re having music and a speaker from the Holocaust Museum,” said event sponsor Holly Miller. Students will also be selling t-shirts for $10 and serving food.

“I think it’ll be pretty fun. The weather’s been nice and Lake Accotink has really nice trails” said McGhee.

The Walk for Darfur was organized by the 2006 IB Diploma Candidates to raise awareness about the genocide in Darfur. The subsequent classes of IB Diploma Candidates have continued the tradition” said this year’s event sponsor Holly Miller.

“I think it’s a good idea. It’s important to help out a third world country,” said sophomore Esrael Muche.

Students must register during their lunch or sometime before the walk begins at 10:00 am. On April 10, check-in will begin at 9:30 am. Everyone must pay $5, or $20 for families of four or more