Princess for a night

You are holding the dress of your dreams twirling in the mirror thinking about the big day: prom.

Prom is the most anticipated and memorable event of the year for many seniors; for some it is something they have looked forward to since they were freshman. The big day can get pricey as girls have to worry about their hair, makeup, nails, dress and shoes. Not to mention the basics such as dinner, a limo and a ticket.

For some girls spending lavishly on one night may be fine, while for others it may be a nuisance that can make prom into something dreadful rather than exciting.

Luckily, FCPS is sponsoring its eighth annual “Princess for a Night” project, which gives the chance for high school-aged girls to go to prom without having to worry about the high bill that accompanies it.

The goal of this project is “To provide beautiful prom dresses to girls who don’t necessarily have the money to purchase a dress,” said Annandale event coordinator, Chris Gokturk. “No one should miss the prom because they don’t have something to wear.”

Many students found the program to be a great way for students who do not want or have the money to spend to get a beautiful dress and other things.

“I think the project is great because all girls want to feel like a princess but might not have enough money or may be ashamed about their dress so I think this program will benefit many girls,” said junior Banna Gebremichael.

Although last year’s event gave away many dresses, the goal for this year was to donate even more. “Last year we gave away over 60 dresses at Annandale. Girls came as far away as Herndon High School,” said Gokturk. “My hope is to have at least 100 girls come and select a dress.”

“I’m not a senior yet but if the project continues next year I will definitely drop by and see what goodies there are,” said junior Sidra Ahmed.

Through April 30 students and community members can bring in donations of dry-cleaned spring and summer formal dresses, shoes, handbags, jewelry, unused makeup and shopping bags. Students can drop off the items from 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday in the main office, and at the Annandale Neighborhood Center from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday and Wednesday.

“I plan to donate a dress because of all the things a girl looks forward to is her prom and after four long years of high school, not having a dress shouldn’t hold anyone back,” said senior Hebah Elhak.

Students can browse dresses and accessories at the Annandale Neighborhood Center on Friday, April 30, 2:30 to 8 p.m. and Monday, May 3, 3 to 8 p.m.