Drug sweep surprises students

On Friday, April 16, a school lock-down drill took place. Students silently sat on the floor with their backs against the wall, waiting for Principal John Ponton to announce when it was okay to return to class again. And when he did, not only did Ponton announce that the drill was over, but that an immediate surprise drug sweep with a K-9 unit would be taking place. Some students were taken aback.

“I was a little surprised but at the same time I kind of wasn’t because of the school we go to. I mean, our school is not a bad school, it’s just that you hear stories,” said junior Nayda Merida.

Though the sweep was a surprise, no one drugs were found in the school.

“I actually expected someone to get caught, but when I heard that no one got caught I was kind of surprised,” said junior Ellen Dong. It is possible that certain students could have had drugs in their backpacks, home, or even their cars. According to a “Keep In Touch” email newsletter that was sent out by Principal Ponton to the Annandale community, one parent mentioned next time to sweep the parking lots as well.

“Perhaps, we will do this in the future” said Ponton.

And if drugs were to be found, the “student would face a mandatory 10 day suspension from school and a recommendation for expulsion from FCPS. Criminal charges would be filed by our School Resource Officer. The school also takes a hit on our state report because we must report drug violations that occur on school grounds” said Ponton.

AHS faculty seemed generally pleased about the results of the drug sweep.

“Great, I think it’s wonderful. I don’t think that means we can assume that there are no drugs in our student population, but it’s definitely a positive” said math teacher Judy Fisher.

Students and teachers know that more drills will take place, but not if more drug sweeps will. When asked if he planned on having anymore drug sweeps this year, Ponton said “that’s a secret.”