Hung up after Homecoming

Every student dreads the arrival of going back to school on Monday after a great weekend. The case of the Monday blues strikes even worse after Homecoming weekend, leaving students with nearly nothing to look forward to.

“School isn’t as exciting anymore after Homecoming,” said sophomore Gunnar Thompson.

“I feel like school sucks and there’s nothing to look forward to,” said sophomore Kalie Rosati.

Homecoming week was filled with many fun spirit days such as Superhero Day, Wacky Tacky Day, Disney Day, Western Day, and Atomic Day.

“I think they should have spirit days more often during the school year because it’s fun,” said freshman Kyle Peich.

Students also got to experience an early release on Wednesday, October 13th because of PSAT’s. Seniors weren’t even required to come to school that day.

The annual powder puff football game and bonfire were held on the track field on Wednesday night. The senior girls beat the junior girls in a 26-18 victory. At the bonfire, all the sports teams were introduced and the head of a Spartan was burned.

During R5 Flex on October 15th, students were released to Bolding stadium, where sports teams were introduced again, the dance team and cheer team performed and a freshman dressed as a Spartan was tackled by the varsity football team. The Homecoming Parade was held after school when various clubs and sports teams accompanied the different class floats and the Homecoming Court in the parade that walked around the Annandale community. The Homecoming Football Game was later that night, when the Atoms crushed the West Springfield Spartans in a 42-6 victory.

“The football game was my favorite part of homecoming week because we won the game,” said Peich.

The Homecoming Dance was held on Saturday, October 16th in the main gym. The theme of the dance was “Under the Sea”.

“My favorite part of homecoming was the dance because of my date, Kate Grandchamp,” said Thompson.

The next big event that students can look forward to is Halloween, for which they have to wait another two weeks, followed by teacher workdays on November 1st and 2nd.