Culinary Institute of America provides a treat for students

People can see famous chefs cook on television or see their names on books, but how often do people see them in front of their eyes?

Culinary students experienced the talents of master chefs and instructors from the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) today as they cooked various foods for the students and teachers.

The main focus of the event was to show the audience how the characteristics of any dish rely on the method of cooking and the balance of spices.

Three chefs created delectable items during their time in the auditorium.  Chef Arnym Solomon cooked up callaloo soup and root vegetables, Pastry Chef Paul Jean Prosperi prepared mousse with raspberry topping and Master Chef Fritz Sonnenschmidt cooked a fusion of ragout of beef with fruits, coconut rice, and sautéed tomatoes with melon.

“It was a good experience. I got to meet instructors from the Culinary Institute of America.  Learning techniques, flavors of the foods, and learning the chefs’ backgrounds was fun,” said senior Bobby Pradachith, who will be attending the CIA next year. “My favorite part was going on stage to make the ragout with beef.”

Chefs from the CIA come to AHS about every four years. The program was introduced by the CIA along with the Restaurant Association Metropolitan Washington and Fairfax County  Career and Technical Education to Annandale first and Chantilly High School hosted the program the last two years.

“Seeing the chefs with the students and showing them the light of cooking was great. These chefs have paved the road for people to walk down,” said Chef Gloniger, Culinary Arts teacher. “I wish more people could have experienced it. It wasn’t just a Culinary Arts thing; its like the Food Network live.”

Students and teachers were often awed by the chefs’ work. There was not a dry moment in the auditorium. “Imagine all of sudden you’re working with [the chefs] after looking at books and TV shows that they wrote and were a part of,” said Chef Gloniger. “It was fantastic.”