The Hunger Games Trilogy satisfies readers

Title: The Hunger Games Trilogy
Author: Suzanne Collins

My Rating: A-

Every year when summer rolls around in the nation of Panem, it only brings one thing; the Hunger Games. As part of the ritual, the names of a boy and a girl are drawn to participate in a fight to the death from each of the twelve districts in the country.

When 16-year-old Katniss volunteers to fight in place of her sister Prim, she knows she won’t return. She’s up against better opponents, with better skills, and her only talent is with a bow and arrow. With every possible odd against her, Katniss goes to meet her destiny and soon finds herself caught up in something even bigger than a death match.

The series The Hunger Games starts out as a simple story about winning against impossible odds, but becomes much more than that. By the end of the first book, Katniss ends up inciting a revolution against the oppressive government that holds the Hunger Games. The tone of the books shift from a story about beating the system to a full-out war against the government and as the series gets darker and grimmer. This only adds to the suspense and keeps you glued to the pages.

Along with an interesting plot, the trilogy has an interesting cast of characters as well. Some of the most interesting characters are the minor ones, such as Finnick, a handsome Games competitor from District 4. Finnick was manipulated by the government, but still fights back. There’s also Haymitch, a man from District 12 who won the Games 25 years before. Haymitch mentors Katniss, despite their tumultuous relationship and his alcoholism.

The only problem with the interesting characters in the series is that some of them are more interesting than the main characters themselves. Katniss, Gale, and Peeta are all good characters, but are not quite as developed and interesting as characters like Finnich and Haymitch. This may leave you wishing to hear more about the less important characters, which is problematic because this is supposed to be Katniss’ story.

Other than the problems with character development, this trilogy is a good series that grows more intense and interesting, ending with a sad but satisfying resolution. I would recommend it for anybody who enjoys science-fiction books set in dystopian futures. It was written by author Suzanne Collins.