First hand account of celebrations at The White House

This is a  first-hand account of one student’s experience the night of Osama Bin Laden’s death.

That Sunday night was like any other at first. It was family night in the Gunther/ Thomas household and we decided to see Rio, the movie my sister had been talking about for the past month. We had just come home and I was about to start some last minute homework when I heard a shriek from downstairs. I was called down to find the words “Osama Bin Ladin Dead,” flashing across the screen of the news channel.

“Boo ya, that’s my boy,” my Dad shouted with nothing but excitement. If someone were to walk in my house at that moment, it would be obvious that we support President Barack Obama. There are more pictures of Obama in our house then there are of my sister and I. Because of this, it is understandable why the next words out of my father’s mouth were,“We gotta go!”

Next, I slipped on his custom, “Obama-fide” Nationals jersey (which was about 10 sizes too big) and we were on our way to Pennsylvania Avenue. A crowd of students ran past us as we got out of the car shouting “U.S.A., U.S.A.” My dad and I quickly joined them in their jog to The White House. We were greeted by a mass of people of all ages and races joining together to celebrate the news. The camera men were at the ready with dapper news reporters. They were finding it quite difficult to do their job with the herds of people trying to make their excitement known to the folks at home.

News reporters came from all over to cover the big news, including some from Australia, Japan and Germany. A few of them interviewed my dad and I. Our shirts got a lot of attention that night too. Tons of people asked to take pictures with our “Barack” and “Obama” jerseys. The night had to end at some point, though our night did not end until 3:30 in the morning. Needless to say, the next day of school I was practically a zombie. But, just like for the Inauguration I had to be there to support Obama and it was an experience I will never forget.