Students organize ‘Picture With Ponton Day’

While holding a picture of Principal John Ponton’s face and getting your picture taken next to it may sound strange, many students and teachers did this on June 8. As they walked into school, they were asked to take pictures with a cutout of Ponton’s face. The “Picture With Ponton Day” is  a thank you from the students of AHS to Ponton for all his work as principal.

“Student had mixed feelings about getting their picture taken.” photographer AJ McCafferty said.

When students were asked to get their pictures taken, some liked the idea, and some were apprehensive. There was no restriction to how the students and teachers had their picture taken. Some students and teachers held Ponton beside them, others held it in front of their faces, pretending to be Ponton and some kissed the picture. Ponton even got a picture with himself.

“As the class of 2011 is graduating, Ponton is too.” senior class President Emma Barker said. She and Mccafferty were the two photographers taking pictures of the students with Ponton.

For the seniors, Ponton has been a familiar face to them in the school. He’s been principal at AHS for six years.

When asked what they will do with the already 300 pictures they have taken, they are not revealing their idea yet. “We do not wish to comment at this time,” McCafferty said.

The surprise event was meant to bring up student spirit and shake them of their grogginess in the morning. The “Picture With Ponton Day” lasted from 6:00 AM to the end of the school day.