Atoms participate in Peace Day

Today, during Atom time, students piled in to the football field to take part in Peace Day. Although it was overcast, the mood was much brighter on the field. The peace sign was formed and a picture was taken to commemorate peace the U.N.’s International Day of Peace. The human peace sign was organized by the peer mediation class and welcomed all AHS students who were Atoms in Good Standing. The peer mediation class requested that students wear red to attend.

“Peace day is important because peace is never forgotten in our world,” sophomore Kowthar Said said. “It can at least be acknowledged as its own day so that we can all keep world peace.”

Since 2002, the U.N. has made September 21st the official International Day of Peace. The day was created in order to work towards their goal of peace and countries working together. International Peace Day is also known as the Day of Cease-Fire, in which in government, politics and personal lives, there is an effort to build relationships instead of damage them.

There were also many other festivities held around the D.C area, and also among the world. The improv comedy club in D.C held the “Stand up for international peace” event, in which they promote peace while holding stand up comedy acts. There was also “Global voices of non-violence” event held at Catholic University. There were discussions with global experts and scholars about peace and non-violence.

“I think peace day is important because it reminds us that we need to work towards more peace. Peace just makes things much easier,” sophomore Jack McDermott said.

To learn more about the U.N’s international day of peace, and things you can do to work towards peace, go to http://internationaldayofpeace.org/about/background.html

By: Joe Sehrer

Staff Writer