Parents attend Back to School Night

The halls of AHS were crowded with people moving from class to class trying to find classrooms before the bell rang. However, this time, instead of students pushing their way through the hallways, it was the parents milling around Back to School Night.

During Back to School Night, parents had a chance to go to each class and talk to their child’s teachers. They also had the opportunity to look at stands for different clubs in the gymnasium. Each teacher was given ten minutes to talk about the class curriculum, goals for the school year and what the students were currently working on. Afterwards, the parents were able to ask questions. However, the opportunity for questions never seemed to come.

“Basically, the parents aren’t asking any questions because we keep running out of time.” Geometry teacher Gail Chmura said.

Some of the information teachers discussed included information about how to find homework on Blackboard and how to contact the teachers in case they had questions or concerns.

Most teachers were stopped by the bell  mid-sentence, and weren’t even able to finish their presentations, although some managed to get most of their presentations done in time.

“I mainly finish in nine out of the ten minutes I have been given.” Chemistry teacher Yaara Crane. “It’s a tight squeeze, but I talk fast.”

Teachers generally managed to introduce themselves and tell a bit about their history before moving on to the subject on hand. Then, they went over the grading criteria and la

te work policies. Afterwards, most of the teachers gave parents a quick tour of Blackboard, to show where assignments were posted. Only a few teachers were able to sq

ueeze in a quick instruction of Atom time, and how students would be able to sign up and get help if they were struggling.

Although the teachers didn’t have the chance to give parents all the information they wanted to, the parents seemed to be satisfied with the information they were given.

“I’ve gotten enough information.” parent Anne Estrada said.

Altogether, it seems that although the teachers would like to have more time to finish their presentations and talk to parents, the parents seem to find the information that they got to be enough.

By: Abby Converse

Staff Writer