Students react to selection for Michelle Obama’s speech

Students reacted positively today when they were called out of their R7 classes to attend an assembly in the auditorium, where they were informed by Principal Vince Randazzo that they had been selected to attend Michelle Obama’s speech on October 13.

401 students were selected to be in the audience. They had to be Atoms in Good Standing to even be considered, which means that they must have As, Bs and Cs in all of their classes, in addition to no disciplinary infractions. The names were then drawn randomly. 12 students were also selected at random to lead Obama around school before she makes her speech.

“I think it’s a great honor. She recognizes the importance of other cultures,” senior Bernard Cholub-Frau said. Cholub-Frau was one of the students selected to attend the event.

The students will miss their R5 class to attend the ceremony. They will then head the to cafeteria during R7 to eat lunch and take part in reflection activities.

Students with last names starting with S-Z were not in the assembly, as they will be informed at a later date of their possible selection to attend the speech.

Missing from the list were most of the IB Diploma candidates, and many voiced their concerns to IB Diploma coordinator Shirley Campbell.

“Honestly I was a bit surprised [that IB Diploma candidates weren’t invited] because I had heard rumors that IB Diploma candidates would be able to go. It was disappointing at first but I tried to stay positive,” senior and IB Diploma candidate Carolyn Hartley said.

After the assembly, all of the senior and junior candidates were informed in an e-mail that they would be able to attend.

“I’m excited for the opportunity to see Mrs. Obama speak to AHS. It’s almost overwhelming in a way. I see her on TV and in the newspaper all the time and now she is coming to AHS,” Hartley said. “No matter anyone’s political views I think this is a great event for AHS.”