AHS volleyball hosts Block Out Cancer game

The AHS volleyball team hosted their Block Cut Cancer game on Oct. 19. October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, so the volleyball team had a special breast cancer night. Several FCPS volleyball teams played each other and also held bake sales to raise money for breast cancer research.

Usually, the volleyball teams work with the Dig Pink Foundation, but this year they decided to raise money for the Alexandria Walk for the Cure.

“All three volleyball teams make or donate baked goods that we sell,” junior Corrine Balicki said. “The profits are directly given to the Alexandria Walk for the Cure who donates the money to local cancer facilities that help women who cannot afford mammograms get them for free.”

During the school day, many students along with volleyball players showed their support by wearing pink shirts for breast cancer. Even though students showed a lot of support during the school day, many players were disappointed with the amount of fans that showed up compared to the 2010 turnout.

“We made a lot of money this year but the fan turn out wasn’t as good as usual. It was also disappointing that we lost the match but we were excited to help out any way we could,” Balicki said.

The freshmen team won their match, but both the JV and varsity teams suffered disappointing losses.

“We were able to make a lot of money from the bake sales, but I was bummed that we lost,” junior Jenny Ha said.

Fans who attended the game for the cure were given the opportunity to support a good cause and cheer on their school’s sports team.

“I had fun eating the food and hanging with my friends at the game,” sophomore Steven Schwartz said.

The game was one of many breast cancer related activities occurring this month. Even though the varsity team faced a loss and the turnout was not as high as expected, the girls seem to have a positive outlook on the game.

“Despite the loss, it felt really good to play for a good cause and be able to help out with the fight against breast cancer,” sophomore Amy Reynolds said.