Science National Honor Society inducts new members

All of the members of the Science National Honor Society were present for inductions.

The Science National Honor Society (SNHS) held their 6th annual induction ceremony in Clausen Hall on Oct. 26. 18 new members were inducted into the society out of the total 36 members.

“We have a good group of officers and all the new members are excited for this year’s events we are hosting,” biology teacher Claudia Lemus said. “I am excited for this coming year in Science National Honor Society and to get the ball rolling now that we have our new members inducted in.”

The ceremony included the induction of the five officers for the new school year. Each officer carried a white candle that was lit by a science teacher and then placed in a glass cup that remained on a table. The officer then had to sign their name and mark their fingerprint on a piece of paper. Finally, they recited a pledge to initiate their office role in the society.

“I think the inductions went really well today,” senior and SNHS President Jiyeong Park said. “We were all pretty prepared and the members did what they were suppose to do. I am excited to start the new year strong with our new members.”

New members were then called up one by one. Each new member had a candle lit, signed their name, marked their fingerprint, recited a pledge and received a certificate.

“I though [the induction ceremony] was very legitimate,” junior and SNHS member JJ Quizon said. “The candle lighting looked very traditional. I look forward to the events I get to participate in as a new member.”

Members had a list of requirements to meet in order to be accepted into the society. All members must be juniors or seniors, be enrolled in at least one IB science class during/prior to junior year and be enrolled in at least one second-year higher level IB class during/prior to senior year (standard level if course is not offered at higher level). Members must also obtain a 3.5 GPA in all of the science courses they have taken, as well as a 3.0 GPA overall.

“I thought the ceremony was very placid,” junior and SNHS member Harris Fitzgerel said. “I joined because this is my first year in IB science and I’ve wanted to join since I heard about SNHS in my freshman year. I am very happy to be a part of this society.”