NHS helps the homeless

Dishwasher soap, toiletries and many other household items have become the main focus of the NHS sponsored supply drive for the organization “Home Stretch.” NHS President and senior Carolyn Hartley decided to replace the Ossian Hall Park clean up, which has been the community service project for NHS members in years past, and instead opted for a different project where students would be able to see tangible results.

“I think that this is a great new opportunity for NHS members to feel as though they are making a difference, with a finished product that they can see: assembled baskets of supplies to go help Homeless families,” Hartley said.

During the Oct. 26 NHS meeting, all junior and senior NHS members were required to bring a total of four household items that families would need moving into new houses. The items will be placed in boxes and later given to Home Stretch, where they will be given to homeless families. Boxes have been placed in several classrooms throughout the school so that the student body can also contribute to the drive by bringing and donating more supplies. Home Stretch not only provides housing, but also financial advice, programs to educate and entertain kids of all ages, while also giving free access to food, supplies and clothing.

Of all the organizations that Hartley could choose from, she selected Home Stretch for its feasibility and its quick response. Home Stretch is a local group that focuses on helping homeless families in Annandale, Falls Church and Arlington.

Hartley had initially contacted different organizations and projects, and Home Stretch was one of the first groups to answer back and were supportive of the new project and involving AHS students.

“A lot of the time students at Annandale aren’t put into direct contact with the homeless, but it is a real problem in our country and this community,” Hartley said.

NHS is attempting to make this a long term project, although future officers will be allowed to change the project or revert back to the Ossian Hall Park clean up if they so wish.

New NHS advisor and counselor, Katie Raffaelli, is supportive of the supply drive and hopes that the project is successful.

“This is especially important around the holidays. If the project goes well I think it would be a great for NHS to continue to work with Home Stretch in the future,” Raffaelli said. “We want to encourage everyone to donate at least one item to Home Stretch.”