Choral department gives first performance of the year

All+six+choirs+sang+together+at+the+end+of+the+night.+
All six choirs sang together at the end of the night.

Just as the cold weather arrives, the Annandale High School Choral Program gave the first performance of the year on Nov 3. at the Annandale United Methodist Church.

The choral department has been preparing for this event ever since the students stepped foot into the classroom. Choral Director Jessica Lardin put together an American themed performance, including all five separate Annandale choirs and a professional male vocal group named Brethren. Each group sang a combined peace called “Testament of Freedom” and their own individual pieces as well.

The concert opened with all choirs singing a piece named “Zion’s Walls.” Then Annandale Singers sang two pieces titled “Sing a Might Song” by Daniel Gawthrop, and a version of “She’ll Be Comin’ Round the Mountain.”

Afterwards, Select Women’s Ensemble warmed the audience with its performance of “Barter” and “Hello Girls.” Women’s Camerata, a new group Lardin just created this school year, featuring some of the best female performers in AHS, made its first appearance in the fall concert.

They also performed “Amazing Grace” and “Johnny Said No.” Following their performance, Men’s Chorale performed three pieces, “Promised Land,” “That Heart I’ll Give,” and “Boatmen’s Dance.”

Subsequently Brethren, the special guest of the night, performed six pieces titled “Old Dan Trucker,” “Shenandoah,” “Down the Valley,” “Colorado Trail,” “Riders in the Sky,” and “How Can I Keep from Singing?” The crowd was left speechless following their performance.

Shortly after, all six choirs combined for the last piece, “Testament of Freedom.” Just before the concert ended, the choral department thanked Lardin for all her hard work and handed her a bouquet of flowers. “I couldn’t have done it without you guys [all choral groups] parents, and the choral boosters. Thank you,” Lardin said.

Following the concert, the choral department held a reception open to the public as a simple thank you to all performers and guests.