Pat Collins visits AHS

Pat Collins, a general assignment reporter for NBC News4, spoke to journalism students about his career during W2 and W4 in Clausen Hall on Nov. 9, in a segment called AHS Meets the Press.

Collins began explaining some of the different topics he has covered, varying from murders and crimes, to sports events, to snow fall and hurricanes. He then discussed how he made his way into the journalism field, his style of reporting, and gave advice to the journalists sitting in the room, regarding how they can survive the media industry.

“This is such a subjective business,” Collins said. “Do the job the best you can do. You have to be passionate and you got to tell a good story. You have to tell both sides of the story.” He emphasized that it is important to choose fair, truthful facts in stories, and that making mistakes is common. “If you’re wrong, then you make a correction.”

Collins began his career as a print journalist. One main point he highlighted and constantly reiterated was the importance of writing.

“It [writing] is how you develop your style,” Collins said. “It’s what separates you from the person sitting next to you. It sets you up for who you are. Writing is like exercising, the more you do it, the better you get.”

Many claim what distinguishes Collins from other reporters, is his unique style. Though he is a hard-hitting news reporter, he also covers light-hearted stories, others say are very funny and intriguing.

“It’s a business of emotion,” Collins said. “Stories are about emotion, if I tell it the right way I’m going to touch you.”

He illustrated how his style first developed through his writing, and then evolved as he reported stories. He stressed that not everyone is going to like his style. “You can’t always be what someone else wants you to be, just to please them.”

The students were able to ask Collins many questions regarding his profession, as well as see three of his video story reports he has done in the past. Pat Collins’ visit to AHS was an opportunity for journalism students to experience further insight of the media world.