Students inducted in National Honor Society

NHS officers led the ceremony on Nov. 14.

The National Honor Society inducted 53 new members on Nov. 14 in the auditorium, with a formal ceremony and brief speeches about achieving success. The ceremony initiated students accepted by the faculty’s panel based on an essay written on what character means to them,along with a resume detailing their leadership and volunteering experience.

“I really feel like I did something that other people haven’t and that my hard work is paying off in other ways than just personal satisfaction,” sophomore Sara Prince said.

The ceremony began with speeches by Principal Vince Randazzo, who talked about the students’ long held tradition of hard work and excellence, and continued with Thomas Chorman, a teacher, speaking about reaching goals, big and small alike, no matter your situation.

This was followed by speeches from the NHS leadership, including seniors Annie Curran, CJ Aftergut, Annette Janwatin, Sarah Knenlein and Rachel Bergen. They discussed scholarships, service, leadership,and character and ended the ceremony with student inductions.

“National Honor Society is a great opportunity for students to serve the community and learn about leadership. Annandale NHS works very hard to do school-wide projects that are meaningful and help the Annandale community,” NHS sponsor and counselor Katie Raffaelli said. “NHS hold students to a high standard, not just academically, but in terms of service to the school and community and encourages members to be leaders whether it’s in the classroom, on a field, or in another club.”

NHS is an organization within the student body that chooses students to represent the school and take part in leadership and volunteering opportunities throughout the community. The organization meets during collaboration time and occasionally after school to collaborate and take part in volunteering opportunities and chances to better the community.

“I feel honored to be a part of the National Honor Society because it serves respectable and prestigious roles,” sophomore Lily Montes de Oca said.