Theater Without Borders performs ‘Love Labor’s Lost’

Two students participate in the play.

A tale of love and mockery, Shakespeare’s Love’s Labor’s Lost left the crowd laughing. Theatre Without Borders performed their version of Shakespeare lesser known comedy on Dec. 15, 7:30 p.m. in the AHS auditorium. Students, parents, teachers and staff laughed and whistled along with the actors on stage.

“I think the play went great, it was really funny,” junior Deepak Sahejpal said.

The play consisted of students in the Theatre Without Borders program, who are ESOL students. One of the main characters was Biron; a love struck student that swore off women for three years just to end up falling in love with one of the Princesses maidens. Biron was played by Hendell Concepcion de la Cruz. Along with Biron, other main characters included Longaville played by Paulo Gallo, and Dumain played by Oscar Guerrero. The Princess of France was played by Sheiny Concepcion de la Cruz. These maiden and the Princess never trusted Biron and the men and led them on into thinking they had a chance, only to crush their spirits at the end.

“The play helped us with diction and pronouncing words, because that’s what we have the most trouble with,” junior and actress Rocio Orellana said.

In AHS, many students deal with the learning English as a second language, and having the ESOL program and clubs like Theatre Without Borders helps them realize they can follow their dreams, even if they have language obstacles. This club lets these students express their dreams and present them to their friends, other students, teachers and family. Many of the ESOL students in the performance were from Spanish speaking countries, but their were a handful of Asian and Middle-eastern speaking students acting in the play.

“When doing a play with ESOL students, we have to modify classics, but they still perform to their best ability and have fun doing it,” club co-sponsor and ESOL teacher Leslie Checkin said.

Even thought these students may face obstacles they overcome the adversity and can do what normal students can.