Freshmen get creative with Greek mythology project

Freshmen participate in a gallery walk during the project in Clausen Hall.

During R1 on Dec. 20, Clausen Hall was filled with students sporting togas and garlands of leaves in their hair. No, it wasn’t the senior class on a pep-rally day. Instead, it was the freshmen Pre-IB English class of Fusun Sulzbach, engaging in the culmination of a research project on Greek mythology.

This is the first year this project has been offered for students. Students are required to learn the basics of Greek mythology to help them when they read The Odyssey. Each student was assigned a god, goddess or myth and had to bring in a report on what they learned. They also had to bring in something that represented their topic. Many students opted for food. An additional ten points were given to students who dressed in costumes or who brought props.

“[The assignment] not only helped them understand the research process and Greek mythology, but also gave them the opportunity for artistic interpretation,” Sulzbach said. “It makes it more meaningful.”

During the activity, students took turns standing at their project station to explain their project to fellow students and participating in the gallery walk so they could take notes on each project. Some parents were even present to help out and see  the final project of their child’s research.

“It’s pretty fun, I’m learning a lot of things I didn’t know,” freshman Mercy Anti said. “This is better because you get to see things for yourself instead of sitting in class being bored to death.”

Others were pleased with the opportunity to interpret their project.

“It was great playing dress up,” freshman Bennett Collins said.

Overall, Sulzbach thinks the day was a success. She is even considering including other freshmen Pre-IB classes for a full Greek festival next school year.

“It’s something that it exciting, but they are learning through the gallery walk,” Sulzbach said. “It was a valuable learning experience.”