School board shortens school year

During a routine business meeting, the FCPS School Board voted to finish off the school year on June 15 instead of June 19.

This decision was made April 12 and was decided based on the marked calendar that confirms that the 180 days of school will have been completed on Friday, June 15.

As of now, all FCPS schools are in accordance with this new legislature.

Any unforeseen emergencies on individual schools will require the additional make-up days that are necessary.

As expected, many students are thrilled at the idea of having an extra two days to add to their summer days.

“It is great opportunity because we get out earlier and people can go on vacation that much earlier,” junior Nicole Montevilla said.

“Even though it’s only a two day difference I’m still excited because we get out that Friday,” junior Nadia Turner said.

Students are not the only people being affected in this decision. Teachers will still come to school that Monday and Tuesday as the final teacher work days of the year.

“We have a certain amount of work days within our contract so that’s that,” theater teacher George Bennett said.