Why do students not participate in Spirit Week?

As spirit week makes it seasonal appearance, many students choose not to participate in the themed events. Due to negative connotations surrounded with dressing out of the “norm,” students have abstained from this school spirited tradition. Whether it be bold themes that will attract attention, such as celebrity day, or less noticeable days, such as wearing your school’s colors, many students no longer seem to respond.

“I don’t like spirit week because some people get too excited and they take it way too far. Not enough people participate and AHS has no spirit,” junior Ahmed Mohamed Kabeer said.

“Spirit week is to me not very emphasized and not a lot of people are participating. I only think two out of the five spirit days are interesting. Tourist Day and Dress like a Teacher Day are the best ones. The others are overused,” sophomore Amelie Trieu said.

Although spirit weeks are a time-held tradition in schools, the sentiments have warn off. It has been noted that a wide majority of underclassmen in particular withhold from spirit days, most commonly attributed to the fears of standing out or participating alone, while the upper classmen tend to take advantage of these fun days to show their confidence and school spirit.

Student Leadership has organized the week-long events and pushed for students to get involved. However, due to the lack of participation, they have made plans to improve the turnout in the future. Leadership plans to award prizes to the best outfits and scheduling it so that spirit weeks will be prelude to, and in anticipation of major school events, such as Homecoming.

“I love spirit week because it gets you to try something different. I wanted more people to participate. People bring ideas for spirit week and we vote depending on what the school wants to do. There are supposed to be prizes. We want to have something big that spirit week leads up to,” junior Olivia Franjie said.