A recap of community

Several Acorners and I on the porch of Heartwood, the main building.
This is the final update to the Acorn story.

Each leaf on a tree is distinct, with its own patterns. Yet, following its stem to its branch, then to the rest of the tree, you can see that it is connected to every other leaf.

The greatest part of my experience at Acorn has been affirming that people, no matter where or who you are, are related and interconnected physically and socially. Communities like Acorn function because their inhabitants recognize this. What one person does, affects everyone else, what is done for the community, is done for the individual.

This is reason for the way decisions are made at Acorn—through unanimous vote at meetings where members attend to discuss their needs and wishes.

Working in the farm, I was part of the cycle that was growing, eating, and nourishing. What we grew would be eaten by all of us, or sold to customers who supported the business. When I cooked, I was cooking for everybody. The organic waste from our meals would go back into the land to help more plants grow. You are encouraged by yourself to clean up, because your mess is everyone’s, and vice-versa.

Due to the nature of Acorn, self-initiative was the prominent element in deciding how and what work was done. If you thought of something that could benefit the community, you would bring it up in a meeting and it would discussed and passed or left to more consideration. If nobody was making lunch that day, you would if you had nothing else to do. The dynamics of a free community works this way. Everything is dependent on each other, yet independently active.

More and more people are becoming aware that communities are viable ways to live. My last week, I was interviewed and filmed by two freelance journalists, saw Montessori school children having the field trip of their lives and met a documentarist eager to depict a story here.

As my final days were coming to an end, I was thankful that, in turn with the compassionate nature of Acorn, there existed a donation program where schools can receive seeds for their garden. I took home about 60 varieties, glad that I didn’t have to raise more funds for the AHS garden.

A special place in the heart of Virginia, Acorn will continue to prosper alongside with its business, Southern Exposure ($1 million in revenue last year), no doubt because they live to understand the oneness that unites us all.