Winter Coffee House a success

Junior+Elvera+Miller+performs+the+songs+%E2%80%9CUntitled%E2%80%9D+and+%E2%80%9CBetween+the+Bars%E2%80%9D+at+the+Winter+Coffee+House+on+Dec.+12.+

Winter Coffee House a success

Junior Elvera Miller performs the songs “Untitled” and “Between the Bars” at the Winter Coffee House on Dec. 12.

Jude Nanaw

Jude Nanaw

Jude Nanaw

Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

The Filament Literary Magazine hosted the third Coffee House of the year heading into winter break.

Entrance to the event on Dec. 12 was $5 with free coffee being available to audience members as well. As opposed to the two prior Coffee House events that took place in the Bistro, the Holiday

Coffee House was held in Clausen Hall due to an increase in audience turnout.

Approximately 75 people were in attendance at the event. Being a fundraiser for the printing and publication of The Filament, the Holiday Coffee House raised $375.

Students and staff packed into Clausen Hall as performers of various talents took the stage.

Seniors Ephrata Yohanes and Yabi Bereket hosted the Coffee House and introduced performers.

“The Coffee House was a lot of fun because it was my first time being an emcee and introducing performers while making pus, rapping and joking around with Yabi [Bereket],” Yohanes said. “The music was really festive and the entire mood in the room was really dynamic and upbeat.”

The Coffee House opened with a performance from the band “Chicken and Waffles” who played their version of “Deck the Halls.

The band composed of seniors Justin Phan and Milton Ramos, junior Noah Byrne, sophomores Nareg Boghosian and Jackson Fornaris and freshman Adam Shawish, played two more Christmas themed songs during the Coffee House including “A Charlie Brown Christmas” and “Johnny B. Goode.”

Juniors Tarik Dawiesh and Kaleab Mengistu along with senior Idris Dahir performed a rap-version of “Jingle Bells” with original lyrics.

Freshman CJ Billeaudeaux sang “Hallelujah” and junior Elvera Miller performed two songs while also playing her guitar, “Untitled” and “Between the Bars.”

Juniors Duc Ngo and Johana Guillen performed a one-act play titled “Mars and Persephone” where the actors went back and forth in a dialogue that also featured a narrator.

Seniors Sesen Beyene and Hemen Besufekad concluded the Holiday Coffee House with a duet of the song “White Christmas.”

About the Photographer
Jude Nanaw, Co-Editor in Chief

Senior Jude Nanaw is the current Co-Editor in Chief of The A-Blast. He has been on staff for four years where in previous years he has held the positions...