Tarot: The Major Arcana

Tarot cards have been used for centuries by mystics, see-ers, witches, and fortune tellers. No one knows where they came from or what they were based upon. Even the word “tarot” has a scattered origin. The tarot deck is made up of 78 cards: 22 Major Arcana and 56 Minor Arcana. The Major Arcana are the more powerful cards in the deck, whereas the minor are used to navigate through daily experiences.

0 – The Fool

When the fool appears in a reading, it’s signaling that it’s time to take action. Follow your instincts and make a bold move. Know that you have the ability to start anew. Always expect the unexpected but don’t be careless or reckless. Use your head and listen to your gut.

1 – The Magician

When the magician appears in a reading, it’s time for you to reach your true potential. He is all about believing in yourself. Know that you don’t always have all the answers, but opportunities that seem magical may come and be prepared to take them.

2 – The High Priestess

When the high priestess appears in a reading, its purpose is to remind you to dig deep and find things that aren’t obvious. Listen to your intuition and your gut. It’s time to connect to the divine and realize that if something feels off, it probably isn’t.

3 – The Empress

When the empress appears in a reading, it indicates that you are beginning a new phase of growth and development. Keep working at your projects to achieve your goals.

4 – The Emperor

When the emperor appears in a reading, he is encouraging you to find your own inner power and to embrace it. He is all about direction and going for what you want in a strategic way. Believe in yourself, take action towards your goals, and they will be fulfilled.

5 – The Hierophant

When the hierophant appears in a reading, it may be that you need to follow along with the status quo and not stir up any trouble. It’s also an indicator that you are growing and developing within and learning to pick your battles.

6 – The Lovers

When the lovers appear in a reading, it can mean that you have to decide between two things. It indicates that you may have to choose whatever your heart desires most.

7 – The Chariot

When the chariot appears in a reading, it means that your intentions are everything. You need to get clear on what your intentions are and avoid distractions that will take you away from them. This card represents the opportunity to get what you want if you work hard enough.

8 – Strength

When strength appears in a reading, it shows that though you may feel scared or nervous, you have the power and inner connection to deal with it. With self-discipline and taps in the right direction, you will achieve your goals. You cannot force your goals to happen, but how you work to reach them takes a huge toll.

9 – The Hermit

When the hermit appears in a reading, he shows a need to be alone. You may need to take some time for yourself and to reflect on your current life and choices. It’s a process worth taking time over and is sometimes a good idea to talk to an expert about.

10 – Wheel of Fortune

When the wheel of fortune appears in a reading, it often means that luck is on your side. Whether it be chance or certain opportunities you may find yourself reaching your goals faster than you may expect.

11 – Justice

When justice appears in a reading, taking a step back and looking at things from a non-judgmental stance, it should help. But justice will deliver the right outcome, which is usually in your favor.

12 – The Hanged Man

When the hanged man appears in a reading, he is there to remind you that sometimes we need a new perspective, and that time is now. There’s something that you need to work on. The best thing to do in this situation is not take control. Let things work themselves out and it will happen a lot more quickly.

13 – Death 

When death appears in a reading, something in your life will soon come to an end. Just because something is done doesn’t meant mean that it’s bad, it just means that there is a new beginning ahead.

14 – Temperance

When temperance appears in a reading, it’s time for you to find balance in your life. Patience will be needed, with yourself and others, but good things are going to be created.

15 – The Devil

When the devil appears in a reading, it typically means that you are committed. You just have to make sure you’re committed for the right reasons.

16 – The Tower

When the tower appears in a reading, you should expect the unexpected. Something is about to change and it could be very drastic. If you’ve been holding onto anything, you can almost count on that it’s time to let go. Embrace the change, though it may feel like chaos, it will be for the better.

17 – The Star

When the star appears in a reading, it brings a sense of hope and fortune for all areas of your life. Keep an optimistic attitude and the universe will help you achieve your goals.

18 – The Moon

When the moon appears in a reading, it is a warning to not trust everything. If something feels off, then it probably is. But, don’t go looking for problems that aren’t there. It’s just a reminder to trust your intuition and to not to everything at face value.

19 – The Sun

When the sun appears in a reading, it shows that you are entering a phase of optimism. It’s there to remind us to have fun and to enjoy our lives. Embrace thinking positively, you may receive well deserved rewards.

20 – Judgement

When judgement appears in a reading, you may realize that things need to change, whether it be you or others. Judgement indicates that you are entering a period of change and growth and that you need to leave the past behind you.

21 – The World

When the world appears in a reading, it is an indication of a cycle ending and a new one beginning. The world shows that you should keep moving toward your goals and your goals will be met.