A free exploration of creativity

A look at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Arlington
    Rossy Soto
    ‘Expectations’ by Stephanie J. Williams.

A small world of artistic gems hidden in Arlington can be found in the Museum of Contemporary Art. With free entry, many visitors are welcomed into a small art museum with a variety of exhibitions of different artists and art styles. The Museum’s exhibitions program presents solo to group exhibitions featuring artwork by local and international artists. Their goal is to connect communities in Arlington and beyond to contemporary art that is innovative and boundary-pushing.
    On the front lawn, Reclining Liberty made by Zaq Landsberg can be found, displaying the Statue of Liberty in a playful and accessible manner to allow public engagement and interactivity. Zaq Landsberg took inspiration from the reclining Buddha statues of Asia, portraying Buddha on a stage on the path to enlightenment has been a relevant theme throughout Buddhist art. Combining the traditional Buddhist reclining pose and the Statue of Liberty, to allow the viewer to think of the ideals the Statue of Liberty represents.
    On the main floor, Tiffany windows and the ‘An Adventure of Being’ exhibit begins. The glorious three Tiffany windows are displayed in one room-showcasing the beauty of the geometrical windows throughout the sun’s brightness throughout the day. They were originally installed there from the original Abbey Mausoleum.
    The ‘An Adventure of Being’ exhibition provides viewers with a perspective of people through paintings on expressive art. The artists featured in the exhibition are Vincent Cy Chen, Nicki Cherry, Jeremy Olson, and Stephanie J. Williams.
    All artists bring a different perspective with different materials to the topic of being. The materials of the art pieces range from pierced sculptures to paintings, to photographs, to physical art. Themes also vary from adventures of sexuality to self-expression. However, the exhibits change over time, showcasing different artists, art styles and concepts.
    On the second floor, ‘Brains in a Golden Gratin’ by Bahar Yürükoğlu is displayed, and will continue to be displayed till Mar. 17. Brains in a Golden Gratin drag out a new perspective for the viewer, showcasing the astonishing yet messy collages. Her art pieces in the exhibition display the revolting stuff of our mortal bodies and transient lives, and search for connections between them and ideals of beauty, motherhood, and civilization. Showcasing her own portraits with vintage photographs, she mixes them both into an eccentric piece. In the exhibit, single art pieces can be seen alongside a wall of a collage of various photographs.
    Not only does this hidden gem showcase art, but it has art classes for all ages-from toddlers to adults, regardless of experience. Currently, there are two classes being held-Mixed Media Expressions and a Textile Collage Workshop. As the Mixed Media Expression class has already started back in January focusing on the creativity of expression, the Textile Collage Workshop can still be registered -focusing on. However, before registering, keep in mind these classes are paid for. Prices can vary depending on the length and materials used in the class.
    Furthermore, not only does the museum host art exhibitions and art classes, but it holds residencies for artists. The Innovation Studio hosts a six-week Artist Residency. As of right now, Adam Henry, a fabricator and portrait artist, is residing. When visiting, you may meet the artist, learn more about them and sometimes even engage in making art alongside them.
    Feel free to visit this gem in the streets of Arlington! The Museum is open to the public with free admission on Wed. through Sun., 12 p.m. to 5p.m.