Girls soccer has a bright future ahead

Girls soccer team prepares for game against Washington Liberty high school
    Lily Rumpf

The atoms girls soccer team is off to a 1-1 record. They played their most recent game last Thursday and unfortunately came up short losing 1-2 against Washington Liberty high school. 

Prior to this game they had their first win against Meridian high school, beating them in a close match 3-2.

The team has shown strength and competition towards their opponents so far this season.

Senior Alex Porter said, so far this season, we’ve done well with making strategies against our opponents. In our games, we usually take the first half to learn how the other team plays and who their good players are.”

The team has used practice to better the players performance and work ethic along with learning defensive and offensive strategies. 

Sophomore Lilly Flores said, “I feel I’ve done a good job on my performance but there are still a few things I need to work on, which practice is helping me get better at.”

More specifically, the team has been successful defensively and stopping the other team.

Porter said, “I feel like our defense is really good. Also keeping them wide, we’ve really improved on.”

Despite the most recent loss, the team still remains positive moving forward

Junior Sara Nagle said, “we are motivated by the fact that we have a good team and can do really well if we all work hard.”

In terms of stress and anxiety going onto the field Flores said, “I think we as a team need to just play games like we do in practice in order to eliminate fear of mistakes, if we could go on the field just how we practice the game would be just as fluid as practice.”

The team lost some of their best players due to graduation but the upcoming leaders still have a lot to show and are holding up the team. 

Porter said “personally I think I’ve been playing really well this season, throughout my years on this team, I have developed so many skills and have improved myself overall.”

Looking forward the team has a lot to work on and has been improving each practice and learning from each game. 

Porter said, “In practice we have been working on building out our back line to make better offensive plays by using our wingbacks.”

Moving into their next game on March 19. Against Wakefield, the team plans to use what they have learned from their win and loss to win this game and get a boost of confidence moving forward.

Coaches love to get their players ready to go for games which involve motivational speeches. 

Nagle said “I love Coach Jake’s pep talks.” These help the team get ready and amped up to play their games.

The team has a lot to look forward to this season and plans to make it as far as possible.

Nagle said, “as far as we can go, our goal is always to win the district.”

The team has goals to go past districts and win games. There is so much to be excited for and there is only improvement waiting for the girls team as they move forward.