Formspring takes over

As if Myspace, Facebook and Twitter were not enough, a new website that helps friends and even enemies communicate, is sweeping across the desktops of teens throughout America. This new site gaining mass popularity goes by the name of Formspring. It has a very simple description; “Send and receive anonymous questions, and learn more about people you find interesting by following their answers.”

The website is just as easy to use as the description makes it out to be. Simply follow whomever you would like, and then anonymously ask them whatever questions you want the answers to.

Easy enough, right? Except what happens when you get a very personal question? Or the question is really just a rude statement? Many people handle the situations differently, but most just ignore the question or take it as a joke. 

“When I get personal questions I ask the person the question back and say it’s not your business,” said junior Kunthea Lim, “ or I just completely ignore it. When people say something rude to me I make up something really stupid or unbelievable to make them look dumb for asking me the question.

Like Lim, many students are finding themselves receiving more personal and inappropriate questions than what they would have originally expected.

“I have been asked some of the most inappropriate questions. People have also said really nasty things to me. They’re all just immature kids who have nothing better to do I guess. They also ask really personal things about my life which is just none of their business,” says sophomore Abbey Decatur.

Formspring is quickly becoming known as a place to discover the truth about people. Anything can be asked and anything can be answered. Although Formspring is, for the most part, a place where honesty thrives, it can also serve as a place to clear up any false rumors.

“When I first got one I realized that people kept asking me about rumors that they thought were true. I figured Formspring would be a good way to set clueless people straight from any rumors they might’ve heard,” said junior Drea Vega.

While most seem to not take anything seriously on Formspring, a lot of people are hurt by rude comments. Because the website does have the option of being anonymous people are more inclined to be completely blunt. This can sometimes be a good thing because many like to hear the truth, but it can also be very hurtful and upsetting when the anonymous sender goes too far.

“People go too far all the time, but then again when you can go around asking people whatever you want, without them knowing, I wouldn’t see why they wouldn’t push it to the limit,” said senior Tony Marealle.

Some people use Formspring to verbally attack others. It is the perfect place to dish it out on your enemy because you do have that option of anonymity. There is absolutely no way the person answering can see who asked the question, therefore a lot of times people are finding that many of the “questions” they are getting are very rude, demeaning and offensive statements.

“At the end of the day it doesn’t bother me at all when people say rude things because I know that the ‘anonymous’ person doesn’t really have what it takes to come to me face to face and express how they feel,” said Marealle.

However, Formspring does have a very good side. If you are curious about someone but you are too timid to talk to them in person, you can ask them anything you want on their Formspring.  It is a great way to learn more about your friends or random people that interest you. Students are also using Formspring to see what people want to know about them.

“Somebody asked me what I would do if a Mexican midget ran through my house at night and started stealing all my things. I found this highly entertaining,” says Decatur.

Formspring is an ingenious website that has been recently capturing the time and attention of many teens, becoming the newest web addiction. Many are realizing the site is very bittersweet because of the chance of receiving rude comments and the opportunity to learn more about others. Either way, users are beginning to appreciate the old saying “honesty is the best policy.”