Not in order

Much different from their 2009 single “Kids,” which was later popularized by Chiddy Bang, MGMT’s new album Congratulations is, to say the least, a big disappointment. The album dropped on April 9, 2010, and frankly I am not so sure what kind of style MGMT was moving towards.

I was so used to the upbeat, techno-friendly, fun music produced in “Kids” and when I turned on the first track of the album, “It’s Working” I felt as if I was being taken back to the 50’s for another Baywatch episode. It just does not fit into this decade’s music style.

I am not so sure if the soft and articulate vocals in “Flash Delirium” were a good match with the electronic beats created. As MGMT would say, “now it hurts to stay” listening to this track.

As I moved through the tracks, I noticed that almost all the tracks sounded the same. MGMT could have put all the tracks together as one really long one, and it probably would not have made a difference.

“If you can’t save it, leave it dying on the road” were the lyrics written in “Siberian Breaks.” Once you hear the track the only thing listeners will be thinking is “why didn’t they leave this track dying on the road?” The track might have had a deeper meaning to it, but it was hard to get to it when all you could hear was high-pitched vocals screeching in the background while old-sounding beats were being played.

The final track was more of a “congratulations, the album is almost over.” As predicted the track didn’t live up to its name. Having a track called “Congratulations,” I was anticipating a joyful track like the ones you would here in the final scene of High School Musical, but what it turned out to be was a droopy feeling track. There was not an urgency to start singing the tunes, but more of a sleepy and drowsy feeling

Although iTunes classified this album as being alternative, after giving the whole album a listen, MGMT was clearly headed in a more indie-sounding album. It is not really my style, being a Lady Gaga and Ke$ha fan, but for the Taking Back Sunday fans, it might be a big hit. If this album had come out when the Beach Boys were still groovin’ it might have been great, but for now it just sounds completely wrong.