Gomez makes a scene

In 2009, Disney starlet Selena Gomez, known for her lead role in television series Wizards of Waverly Place, introduced her music to the world. Selena Gomez and the Scene originated in California and have recently released a second album titled “A Year Without Rain” following their debut album, Kiss and Tell. While Gomez is the main focus of the group as lead vocals, she is supported by Joey Clements on bass, Ethan Rogers on guitar, Dane Forrest on key board and Greg Garman on drums. The band’s debut album showed off their electronic

synth-pop style that everyone can dance to, which has been continued in A Year Without Rain.

Both of the band’s albums have done well on the Billboard charts in America as well as Canada. Their hot summer single “Round and Round,” an angsty but upbeat song about confused feelings, went to 24 on the Billboard’s Top 100 and 76 on Canadian Hot 100. The band has been on many television programs including late night talk shows and the Disney Channel. Also, the band has done many tours including the “House of Blues” tour, the “Kiss and Tell” tour to promote their debut album, and are now starting their “A Year Without Rain” tour.

MTV recently quoted Selena Gomez saying, “I’m really proud of this record, it’s very different, and kind of shows my growth a little bit in our music, so…I’m excited, I can’t wait. I think if anything the lyrics are more powerful, in a way.” This is true. The strength of the lyrics in this album easily shown in her song “I Won’t Apologize” which has the line “I won’t apologize for who I am.” The album has a lot of girl-empowering lyrics, and a central message of being independent.

The main song in the album is called “A Year Without Rain.” The track has a ballad-like feel about missing a guy while still maintaining Gomez’s signature thumping back beat. Fans should be excited for the song “Rock God,” which is a promising duet with Katy Perry. “Intuition” is another fun and upbeat track that will win over Gomez’s fans. There are many other great songs on the album including “Summer’s Not Hot,” “Live Like There’s No Tomorrow,” “Sick Of You,” “Spotlight” and “Ghost Of You.”

This album is a big step for Gomez, who is slowly following in suit of Miley Cyrus to break out of the pop princess stereotype. As she continues to grow as a musical artist, Gomez is earning her place in today’s pop industry. Gomez’s sophomore album exudes maturity and has been taken in stride by new fans and old. It has a great rhythm and beat, and it really fits well with the club scene with popping electronic keyboard that just makes you want to get up and dance.

The young star has done well with this album, which is definitely recommended for the teenage girl audience, but could be enjoyed by anyone. With no dirty lyrics or inappropriate messages, it is great listening for the young and old. A definite thumbs up, Selena Gomez and the Scene are here to stay.