FAN Club makes their debut

Around the halls of AHS, seniors Josh Sarker and Julian Jordan appear as two ordinary high school students. However, in their free time, they are becoming something much greater. As a pair, Sarker and Jordan go by the name FAN Club, and are working on writing and recording singles and mixtapes. Jordan and Sarker shared their experiences starting out in the music industry.

When and how did you meet?

We had some friends in common, but we got to know each other through lacrosse in our freshman year.

How did you get the idea for FAN Club?

In our English class, we had a poetry assignment and then we just started rhyming one day. Then we were like, “hey, let’s do this.” It was a pretty spontaneous movement. All these really famous rappers and singers that we love are so young and we thought, “why can’t we do that?”

When did you start FAN Club?

We started FAN club at the beginning of this year because we wanted to live it up in our last year at Annandale.

Where did the name come from?

Julian and I, in the beginning of the year, we started listening to all this new music. So we became fans of all these great artists like Mac Miller, Chris Webby, Chiddy Bang, Tayyib Ali, Wiz Khalifa and J Cole, so we decided to call ourselves FAN Club because we’re such big fans of all of them.

What are you currently working on?

We’re producing our single Coffee-Stained Khakis which we hope to have out by Valentine’s Day. By the end of the year, we want to release our mixtape, which currently does not have a name. We also did a song with Audio Essence [another band at AHS] at the STAND concert on Jan. 14.

Where did the name Coffee-Stained Khakis come from?

It was from a real experience that Josh had. Josh was wearing a pair of khakis after a long night and they had coffee spilled all over them the next morning.

How will people be able to hear your music?

We’re going to put it up on Facebook and send it around. We’ve already started collaborating with Audio Essence and we’ve talked with another hip hop artist we found on datpiff.com named Felix.

How do you record your music?

Lately we’ve just been recording our songs with Garage Band on a MacBook. We hope to collaborate even more with Audio Essence and record some songs with them.

How many songs have you written?

Right now, we have fully finished Coffee-Stained Khakis and are working on finishing up some other songs.

What is your song writing process?

We warm up with some freestyle to instrumentals we find on the Internet, and then we think of a beat that we want to work with. Then we just listen to the beat and write the lyrics. Right now, we’re thinking of working with Stereo Love and Poker Face. We also are considering making a remix to Black and Yellow.

How often do you practice?

Usually it’s just on the weekends or a day after school if we have time.