Students invest in SAT preparation classes

Everyone talks about the SAT, the five-hour long test that can determine a student’s academic future. If you are a junior or a senior, there’s a good chance you’ve experienced intensity of taking the SAT. Shuffling into the test center with hundreds of other nervous faces on an early Saturday morning, hoping that you’ve prepared enough to get a perfect 2400 – or at least something close to that. For some students, the determination to score high on the SAT’s has led them to invest their precious free time, that which has not already been dedicated to homework, extra-curricular activities, or on a rare night out with friends, taking classes that will prepare them to crack the test.

In the AHS area, there are several different companies that offer help to those who need it. Companies like the Princeton Review, Kaplan, Studyworks and Math Pro’s Inc. offer extensive training to prepare students for the math, English and writing sections. Many of the classes require large time commitments (Princeton Review has classes that are four hours long) and can be draining to students after a long day of school.

“[Studyworks] gave me a textbook and they talked to me a lot and we did a lot of things,” junior Steven Lose said. “I felt like I was tired all the time because class was on Wednesday nights from 6 to 9:30.”

Each company has different tactics for scoring high on the test. Al Silverman, owner and teacher at Math Pro’s Inc, created “Clever Connections” to help students prepare for the reading portions of the test. “Clever Connections” are commonly used SAT words paired with another word, often times a word that rhymes or is alliterative, that make them easy to memorize. Silverman gives students CDs so that they can listen to them. “It’s been interesting [taking classes with Silverman]. It helped me with the math, not so much English,” junior Kaitlyn To said.

Unlike Math Pros Inc., Princeton Review gives students full length practice tests so that they can predict what their scores will be. “Some kids can benefit from [SAT prep classes],” Career Center Specialist Robin Roth said. “It takes a student who is motivated.”

One reason that many students refrain from taking SAT classes is because of the high prices. Studyworks classes can run from $395 to $795. Princeton Review classroom preparation is $1440, while Kaplan classes are $499. Students who are discouraged by the high prices, but feel they need extra help, should consult Roth for other options. She has a list of online websites that offer SAT preparation, though she does not endorse any specific company. Some of the websites include ePrep.com and Number2.com. Students can also check out SAT prep books that have practice questions in the Career Center. “[Online classes] are certainly more convenient,” Roth said. AHS offered a semester class for the 2011-2012 school year solely for SAT math preparation, but it was cancelled because of the low number of students who enrolled.

Despite the success stories, the classes have not helped all of the students who have taken them. “My scores went up, but not enough,” Lose said.