Class Acts are back again

Seniors Fiona East and Danny Tran try out for the senior class act, Going to School, in the auditorium on Sept. 13.

Although the school year has just started, the theater department is already hard at work organizing Class Acts. On Oct. 13, each class: freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors, will perform a 30 minute skit chosen by their assigned director in the auditorium at 7 p.m.

Last year, Class Acts were not able to be held due to lack of funds, but this year the theater department has enough money in their treasury to bring it back again. There is no set price for admission to the event yet, but donations are welcome.

Although many members of the theater department act in the plays, the participation of non-theater members is strongly encouraged. “You don’t have to be in theater to be in the play,” theater teacher George Bennett said.

A panel consisting of three judges ranks the plays. The judges can include theater teachers from other schools, or even teachers from AHS. “Teachers can be involved as judges if they would like,” Bennett said.

After all of the plays are finished, the rankings are announced at an award ceremony. Many awards are also handed out, including awards for best actor and actress.

The event has garnered a lot of attention and participation in previous years, as students take advantage of the opportunity to be in a play which is not as time-consuming as the annual spring play. “It’s a great way to have fun in a show with only a couple of weeks’ time investment,” Bennett said.

The freshman play,  A Curtain Call to Arms, will be directed by junior Betsy Cohan. The sophomore play,  A Touch of Evil, will be directed by junior Zain Kamara. Junior Skye Lindberg will be directing her class’ rendition of The Apple and last but not least, the senior play, Going to School, will be directed by senior Max Talley.

“I think it will be sweet,” Talley said. “We just might win.”

Although auditions have already been held, it is still possible to become involved in your classes play. Either check in with your class’s director or find Bennett. “The more people that become involved, the better the plays will be,” Bennett said. “You don’t want to miss this.”