AHS transitions after the Iraq War

Senior Kardo Omerbell views the Iraq War differently than many people at AHS. Where many students have seen U.S. soldiers fight on the news in a distant country, from the comfort of their own home, Omerbell sees U.S. soldiers fighting in his home country. He is not happy about the recent withdrawal of troops from Iraq.

“Pulling out what a big mistake,” Omerbell said. “Iraq will go back to how it was in 2003 and all the American and Iraqi lives will go to waste. I’m Kurdish, I was born in Iraq, I understand what is going on. And pulling out was a big mistake.”

Omerbell lived in Iraq for the first four years of his life, before coming over the the U.S. in 1996. He has lived in Annandale ever since. After watching the occupation of Iraq closely, he only fears for the future of his country.

“I mean it already has [gone back to the way things were before]. Look at the news,” he said. “Soon their will be civil war. Without the U.S., Kurds and Arabs will be fighting for power. And that would lead to the country dividing into two or even three parts. Not really what the U.S. wanted, was it?”

Omerbell is not the only one at AHS whose life has been changed by the occupation of Iraq, as after eight years and over 4,000 military deaths, the last American troops were withdrawn from Iraq on Dec. 18.

Chemistry teacher Elizabeth Tufts had been married for only a month when in June 2008 her husband was sent to Iraq as a computer hacker for the army. They had just moved to Rochester, New York. A newlywed living without her husband in a new city, the year he spent in Iraq marked a difficult time in her life.

“It was bad,” Tufts said. “I was grateful when he was sent home.”

Although her husband was not happy with his computer hacking job in Iraq, he always felt safe. Even so, unlike Omerbell, they are both pleased that the occupation of Iraq has ended.

“It’s about time,” Tufts said. “We still have other family members there, so it’s nice to know they’ll be out of there.”

Despite the end of U.S. military involvement in Iraq, troops are still fighting in Afghanistan. Tufts says she is unsure of whether her husband will be sent there to hack computers.

“There’s always a chance,” she said.

Senior Steven Lose also shares Tufts sense of relief, because his uncle served in the Air Force and flew in and out of Iraq from 2003 to 2008.

“I was always worried, but it’s safer than having him in the Marines,” Lose said. “I feel relieved now that I know he’s safe.”

Lose says his uncle is also relieved to be home and that it is unlikely he will go to Afghanistan.

“He’s glad to be home permanently,” Lose said.

Despite his fears, Omerbell is still grateful for what the U.S. did for his country.

“I thank this country for saving me, my family, and even my people’s lives,” Omerbell said.

He says that is is happy the troops are home safe, but he is still worried about Iraq’s future without the U.S. troops. He also is critical of President Obama.

“I support our troops pulling out, but think about the ones who died, think about the reasons why they were there,” Omerbell said. “Those lives will all go to waste just because our president wants to have another four years [in office.]”