Students explore courses at Elective Fair

The hallways of AHS were flooded with students trying to go from one class to the next during the Elective Fair. The fair, which was held on Feb. 17 during the W4 and Atom Time block, gave underclassmen a chance to preview the many classes AHS has to offer.

Throughout the event breakfast was being served to seniors in the cafeteria.

“I like the Elective Fair because it’s very helpful in getting to know the classes, since you can’t do that by just looking at the courses,” sophomore Alana Buto said.

Prior to the fair, students received a student course planning sheet to write down the classes they were interested in going to during the Elective Fair.

During this time the students picked four classes that they were interested in and may take next school year. They then got the chance to meet with the courses’ teachers and learn more about the classes during the event. The courses ranged from core classes to those concerning world languages, business and fine arts among others.

Students also got the chance to meet the teachers of academy classes and learn more about the classes and how they would run. The academy classes take place at Lake Braddock, Edison, Falls Church and Spring Valley.

Though there were many classes to choose from, one class was popular among most students. Psychology and IB Psychology were the classes that most students wanted to know more about. Each classroom filled up so quickly that most students were turned down and were told to come in the next session. For regular psychology, teachers stood in the hall to hand out a numbers, only allowing a certain number of students to enter.

“I think [psychology] is a popular class because students are curious about it and it’s a very interesting class,” psychology teacher Brian Dunnell said.

“The Elective Fair was great, it helped me decide on what elective I’m taking next year and it was fun,” freshman Samah Faris said.

The Elective Fair gave students a chance to learn about the many classes AHS has to offer and talk to teachers to see if their classes are right for them.

“It allows you to ask questions one-on-one with potential future teachers to better familiarize yourself with the classes,” sophomore Angelica Gonzalez said.