Some students are missing out on the morning announcements

Shira Steinberg
More and more teachers are becoming accustomed to not playing the morning announcements in the morning, which could leave students out of valuable information during the school day.

Every morning at 8:53 the morning announcements begin. On white days, the announcements run during W4, but on red days they play during R3. These announcements are put on to inform students about activities that are going on around AHS that include important bulletins and information that students need to know.

Most teachers play their morning announcements during W4 but some teachers do not play their announcements during R3 because it takes up valuable class time. Many teachers said that they often forget to turn them on or their students have already begun working and they don’t want to disturb them by turning on the announcements.

“I think that playing the morning announcements is very important because I hear about activities going on in the school day that I wouldn’t normally,” senior Mairead Kennedy said. “Sometimes my teacher forgets to turn them on or they just don’t want to because they’ve started class already in R3.”

However, a lot of teachers still do play the announcements because they contain important information for students.

“I play the morning announcements because I think that they are important to students,” English teacher Melissa Phillips said.

If the announcements are so important to students, why doesn’t the school play them at a more convenient time?

“Maybe [they could play them] at the beginning of the day because we pause to start a new day,” Phillips said.

Playing the announcements during W4 makes sense, but playing them during R3 can disrupt the classroom for both teachers and students.