NHL Lockout Ends

ASSOCIATED PRESS

After more than 6 months since the Stanley Cup, the NHL finally has hope to start their 2012-2013 season. The NHL lockout has officially ended, and the regular season will start back up again. Hockey fans everywhere are excited to start the new season, especially here at home with the Washington Capitals. “It’s not a good feeling when you sit at home, watching TV, and watching other sports when you’re a hockey fan,” Capitals forward Alex Ovechkin said.

The lockout was based on arguments between the NHL management and the NHLPA (National Hockey League Player’s Association) over certain issues in the financial and player rules proposal given by the management in July, which was not accepted by the NHLPA. Another offer was not accepted in time, so the season was postponed and many games were cancelled due to the problems with the offers. But on January 6, 2013, the lockout officially ended, with an accepted offer and the season starting a week later, on January 13.

No formal practices have actually started for many teams but for the capitals, several of the players have held some workouts for them to get back into the game after such a long hiatus. But the practices need to be right into the game, according to Head Coach Adam Oates. “We’re playing a game, very soon. It’s really not training camp.” Oates said.

And in some cases, with the lockout ending, the fans are more excited than the team itself. “I was so excited that hockey was back,” Junior Allen Hall said. “I feel now that there’s a season the Capitals could win the Stanley cup.”