Baseball begins Patriot District playoffs

The varsity baseball team ended its season with a disappointing 14-7 loss to South County on May 12.  Despite a third inning home run by senior Greg Nielsen, the Atoms could not overcome the Stallions. They finished with a record of 7-11, but remain optimistic for the post-season.

“The season didn’t go quite as well as we would have hoped but I feel confident in our chances in the playoffs,” senior Ryan Keck said.
The Atoms hope to face W.T. Woodson on Wed. depending on the results of their game against T.C. Williams on May 16, which was played too late for coverage.

Despite a heartbreaking loss by only one point to T.C. Williams early in the season, the Atoms quickly avenged the defeat later in the year by evening their record 1-1 against the Titans.
“Our first loss [to T.C.] was disappointing but if we play to our full potential we should be fine,” Keck said.

The Atoms finished the season No. 5 in the Patriot District last year and were knocked out of the playoffs by rival Woodson.  They hope to have a different fate this year.

“If we play well we are the most dangerous team.  We have played well against some of the top teams so if we make it to Regionals we could do well,” Head Coach Ron Abrigo said.

The Woodson game will be tough but I think we have the ability to beat them,” senior Eric Reynolds said

Reynolds and Keck continue to deliver solid performances from the pitching mound each game and hope they will be able to lead the Atoms to a Patriot District Championship.