Harper steps down from coaching position

Varsity Basketball Head Coach Anthony Harper stepped down from his coaching position yesterday after school.

Varsity Basketball Head Coach Anthony Harper has stepped down from his coaching position, a move effective immediately. The announcement was made to the team yesterday before practice, when both Harper and Director of Student Activities Karl Kerns addressed the JV and varsity players.

“They just called a meeting yesterday and said he resigned as head coach, but nobody knows anything else,” senior Amiel Terry said. “I’m mad that he’s off the team, no one knows what happened. I’m pretty upset.”

“The athletic director informed us that coach Harper was stepping down,” senior Monte McCarthy said. “[Harper] told us that he took full responsibility for his actions and then left the room. It was pretty sad.”

Other basketball players echoed the fact that Harper took responsibility for his actions, which is the reason they say he can no longer coach.

“He just said that the reason for him not being able to coach was his actions,” junior Michael Henessey said. “It was a little shocking but we have to continue on with our season and hope to succeed.”

For the Atoms, there is no time to reflect on the loss of Harper, as the team will square off against Herndon tonight. Although Harper is still a member of the AHS staff, assistant coach Bobby Terry will take over as interim head coach and JV coach Daniel Porter will be moved up to the assistant position.

“I guess I’m sad, I don’t know if there’s another word,” McCarthy said. “He was a great coach and loved basketball and will be greatly missed, as he has helped the AHS basketball team do very well throughout his coaching years.”

“I feel shocked, and hope our team can stay strong and get through this together,” senior Eddy Cutrera said.

Harper, however, is not the only member that the AHS basketball program has recently lost. Seniors Reggie Scott and Andrew Courtney, who began the winter on the squad, are no longer members of the team. Senior David Kim will also be moving to South Korea in the coming week, leaving the team with a much depleted roster.

“The team’s going to have to rely on its returning varsity members to help keep the skills and mentality that coach Harper taught them throughout the years,” McCarthy said.

Harper and Kerns both declined to comment on the situation, and Principal Vince Randazzo is still in the process of being contacted. The story will continue be updated as additional information becomes available.

By CJ Aftergut and Parker Gillcash

Co-Editor in Chief and Sports Editor