All-American again

All-American+again
AHS senior Ahmed Bile went from a sophomore unexpectedly placing second in the state in his first season of track, to a junior with three all-american titles under his belt. Bile is now a senior, and the time has come for him to say good bye to his high school cross country career.
All-American senior Ahmed Bile placed 12th at the Foot Locker National Championship Race in San Diego on Dec. 10, finishing with a time of 15:30.
“I was running really well in the beginning of the race, keeping up with the top competitors and with the top ten. And then, I started getting tired,” Bile said. “ And once we reached the biggest hill of the course, I was dead.”
Last year, Bile also qualified for the Foot Locker National Championship race, and placed 14th with a time of 15:33.While most were expecting Bile to finish in the top ten, Bile still ran an amazing time and ended his season well in this race. His 12th place finish means that he is the 12th fastest cross country runner in the entire nation, and also granted him his fourth All-American status to date.

“They were fast, and it wasn’t what I expected; but I’m happy with the finish and ready for indoor,” Bile said.

The Foot Locker National race is composed of 10 of the fastest runners from four different regions of the U.S., South, Midwest, Northeast, and West. Bile placed second at the Foot Locker South race in North Carolina on Nov.26, with Texas State Champion Daniel Vertiz beating him out for the win in the last few meters of the race.

Bile also contributed to the Foot Locker South Region team winning the team title with fifth, eighth, ninth, tenth, 12th, 14th, and 19th place finishes for a combined score of 44.

An indication of Bile’s fatigue during this race is the fact that Bile’s closest competitor all season, Chantilly’s Sean McGorty, was able to pull out a win between the two for only the second time this season. At the Northern Region Championships, the State Championships, and the Foot Locker South Regional race, Bile was able to beat McGorty. McGorty placed tenth at the race with a close time of 15:28.

Bile’s cross country season is now officially over, and the returning 3rd place finisher in the New Balance Indoor Track National competition will return to practice with the indoor track team on Nov. 26.