Boys tennis begin season

The boys tennis team is undefeated so far this season. This can be attributed to the fact that they haven’t played a full match yet. The first match was Friday, March 16th but was rained out and canceled halfway through, though the AHS boys were ahead before the cancellation.

Tennis matches are often canceled due to inclement weather, due mainly to the nature of the sport and the ball it is played with doesn’t do well water. This setback didn’t discourage the boys though.

“The team’s future looks good and though we’re disappointed that we had to cancel, we’ll be ready on Tuesday,” senior Joshua Kim said. “I think we’ll be able to do really well this season. Coach Gould has been amazing and really helped each of us improve our strokes.”

There was a lot of praise for Coach Gould and the boys didn’t seem to be overly optimistic or under any illusions about their current abilities in regards to the overall team.

“In the whole team, I’m not the best by far,” junior Brody El-Achi said. “It’s really fun though and I’m not too worried for the team or myself.”

Though disappointed about the result of the match being due to inclement weather, Coach Gould had a lot to say about the teams present and future prospects.

“The Boys Varsity Tennis team is loaded for success this season.  They are a legion of 18 talented and passionate players, supported by the finest manger on any team in Fairfax County (Mindy Vo), and an incredible veteran player, Luis Parado, who has stepped up to be the assistant coach,” coach Katherine Gould said. “The spirit of the team is “Imua”, a native Hawaiian word that means “never give up,” and the tribe is led by three outstanding captains: Phillops Ousman, Josh Kim, and Thien Mai. These boys are going all the way to the district tournament this year and we’re looking for the “W” on Tuesday.”

The match was rescheduled for Tuesday, March 20th, against Woodson High School. Results were unavailable at press time. Check www.theA-blast.org for updates.