Davis takes head coach position at West Potomac

Assistant football coach Jeremiah Davis has accepted the head football coach position at West Potomac High School and will start at the beginning of the 2012-2013 school year.

“[The new position] was an opportunity to advance in my career and spread my philosophies,” Davis said. “I mainly took the job for the chance to run my own team.”

Davis has served as the defensive line and JV coach since 2005. He also played for AHS when he attended high school here before graduating to play for Penn State. Davis also took an active role in the AHS community by serving as the announcer at basketball games and forming friendships with students and teachers.

“Playing AHS in football is going to be tough because I’ll be remembering playing here in high school,” Davis said. “Some of my best memories are from playing and coaching here. It’ll be emotional, but definitely exciting because I’ll know players on both teams.”

Davis, now a Special Education teacher, will teach Special Education and AVID at West Potomac. His wife, Xiara Davis, will continue to teach Special Education at AHS.

“I think West Potomac will be a good experience for me,” Davis said. “There are lots of athletes, they need discipline and structure. I hope to enforce the same discipline and create the same traditions we have here at AHS.”

Head Coach Mike Scott reported that he is looking for a new coach to replace Davis on his staff.

“He did a great job, but [AHS football] will still be the same,” Scott said. “We’re not going to change, but we will miss him. AHS football will still be AHS football.”

Davis informed Scott of his new position when he found out, and Scott was aware that Davis was applying.

“It’s sad to lose him, but I’m happy for him,” Scott said.

Several players expressed their sadness in Davis’ departure, but were quick to remark on the great opportunity.

“I’m surprised because he’s invested so much in the program,” junior Jae Min Kim said. “It’s kind of sad, but at the same time I’m happy for him.”

According to the Burke Patch, there was much controversy surrounding the former coach at West Potomac, Eric Henderson, and FCPS’ decision not to renew his coaching position. No official reason was given for letting him go.

“I don’t want [Coach Davis] to go because he’s such a great coach, but it’s a big opportunity for him since it’s the head coaching spot,” junior Justice Garrish said. “It’ll be a huge loss for the team.”