Red and White Golf Classic

Briar Creek Photography
Three men participate in last year’s Red and White Golf Classic.

Warm weather is finally here, which means golf season has arrived as well. Every May the Annandale PTSA hosts the Red and White Golf Classic, which is one of the highest grossing fundraisers for the PTSA.

The Red and White Golf Classic takes place at Laurel Hill Golf Course on Friday, May 17, and is open for anyone to sign up.

“Last year we netted about $15,000 for the PTSA,”  event organizer Rich Fruchterman said.

The Red and White Golf Classic has been an AHS tradition for 16 years. Many families and alumni participate in the event, with some donating a weekend at their family’s vacation home to be auctioned off.

“The participants are alumni, parents of current students and neighbors who are all showing their support for AHS and having some fun while doing it,” Fruchterman said.

Many students’ parents will be showing their support for AHS by attending.

“My dad is participating because he enjoys golf and had a fun time last year,” junior Amy Reynolds said.

The golf classic consists of multiple parts: the actual golf tournament, where groups participate, various games for participants, as well as an auction, where families like the Allshouses donate a weekend at their condo or vacation home for the highest bidders.

“My family donates their condo because we like helping out AHS,” sophomore Rachael Allshouse said.

To be a part in the tournament, participants must register by May 11th, and pay either $500 as a foursome (a whole group) or $125 as an individual golfer. People are also allowed to sponsor parts of the event as well.

“Last year we had over 80 golfers participate and about 20 non-golfing volunteers,” Fruchterman said.

Sponsorship ranges from being a Title Sponsor, for up to two foursomes for $3,500, to a Tee Sponsor for $100. Anyone, participant or not, can also be a Patron Sponsor, starting at $5 and increasing in $5 increments. To become a sponsor, go online to the Annandale PTSA website  to make a donation before May 10th.

Some local businesses owned by AHS alumni are also sponsoring parts of the event. Tysons Watch and Jewelry Exchange, owned by Jerry Bouchard, an AHS 1980 alumnus, is this year’s beverage sponsor, with Kilroy’s being this year’s water sponsor, Chesapeake Veterinary Cardiology Associates are one of the drive sponsors, and Access National Bank as well as Math Pros, Inc are two Closest to the Pin sponsors..

“You don’t have to be a great golfer to play; [the Classic] is a lot of fun and supports a great cause,” Fruchterman said.