How ghetto is Annandale?

ww2today.com
A real ghetto is very different than how it is used nowadays.

Many students use slang words without knowing actual meaning or how others might react to it. Some students only use these words because of peer pressure or many other people around them that use it as well. Overuse of one of the words “ghetto” seems to be normal to some students but others have a bad reaction to it thinking it could be racist. Also many students overuse the word without even having the actual meaning or a similar meaning than their peers.

The dictionary definition of ghetto is a part of a city that is occupied by different kinds of groups. The word “ghetto” started back in the 1600’s when Italy was evacuating the Jewish population. Since then it has been used correctly until modern times misused it mostly as a word meaning a negative African American background or something with lower class.

Slang started back in the 17th century and by the 18th century there became a difference between American and English language because of slang. Slang is also is understood by certain members of groups of peers.

“I think it means how a place or person acts like they’re from a black neighborhood and I don’t think students should use it, it’s really offensive,” freshman Jackie Rivas Salinas said.

According to the famous slang online dictionary, Urban Dictionary, ghetto means “disadvantaged residential area of a city.” Most AHS students don’t use that meaning. The word is both educational and slang but very few have knowledge of this.

Most people use slang because they think it’s easier to say but they don’t know how that can affect their studies grammar-wise. The use of slang can affect students when they write. Constantly using slang words can create a mindset that they actually exist, or use them incorrectly.

According to PBS, “The four factors that are the most likely to produce slang are youth, oppression, sports and vice.”

Slang can come from many different places and can often be passed on from friends. If one person makes a word up and the others will like it, it will eventually become a popular slang word.

As for the word ghetto, “I don’t really think there is a need to use that word and I don’t really use the word at all and I would be surprised if someone said that to me,” freshman Kim Mai said.

Slang is used many times these days by different types of people including students and teachers. The most important thing is recognizing what the slang words mean to use it properly and not to harm anyone or cause trouble while using it.